Monday, June 28, 2010

Life is a Little Bit Overwhelming Right Now

Sorry SJ Fans and Followers for the delay in my blogging. It has been right at a month since my last post. Unacceptable, I know. But this whole building up a business thing can be a little bit overwhelming at times. Of course, I am very thankful for this "problem", it is definately a "good problem" to have.

If any of you know me personally, you will know that my main fault in life is piling too many things onto my plate, which also leads me to always answer "yes" instead of "no".

As SJ continues to build and grow, the work behind it is having to change a bit as well. SJ actually started as a business that focused on "customizing" jewelry for our customers. Now, with the growth in numbers of our clientel and the amount of inventory we turn around, these "custom" pieces really become tough. So, I have recently made the decision that SJ will only do "custom" pieces when multiple pieces are involved. I am still going to listen to "what the customers want" and keep those requests in mind when creating new pieces, carrying clothes, etc., but in order for SJ to grow and be able to focus on processing our online orders quickly, book and travel to shows, and stay on top of current fashion trends, this is what needs to happen. I guess this is me learning to say "No", in order to make SJ operate more efficiently.

Building a business from the ground up (and I mean 100% from the ground) is extremely rewarding to me, but at times can be very overwhelming. However, I know as SJ continues to grow, more team members will be incorporated, which will definately help! I guess today is just one of those days where I get discouraged because there is not a specific "list of rules to follow" on building your own business. Instead, I have had to learn everything through experience. But, a year ago when I decided to commit to SJ full time, I had no idea about payment gateways, secure online shopping, carrying apparel, customer efficiency, customer service, etc.

All in all, I love my job. SJ is truly a dream job for me. It allows me to share my sense of fashion, travel to many events, meet tons of intriguing people, still have flexibility to raise Brangus show cattle. Sometimes when things seem so overwhelming, it can be very refreshing to take a step back and see just how good they really are. With the help of family, friends, loved ones, mentors, and some pretty fabulous customers, I know SJ will be rockin' and rollin' so fast, that not only I will be able to LOVE my job, but I will get to share that with multiple team members in the future. It's just traveling the right roads, learning from the speed bumps I hit, listening to constructive criticism and researching other successful business along the way that will help make it all come together.

Moral of the story - realize that sometimes your "problems" are "good problems" to have. Remember the glass is 1/2 full! And enjoy what you do, who is in your life, and everyday that God blesses you with!

Until next time, stay fabulous, and keep those votes coming in for us at bestofthebrazos.com for "best accessories" and "best local online shopping!

No comments: