Monday, March 8, 2010

Royal Genetics Debut at the 2010 Houston Livestock Show!


Hello all SJ supporters and followers! Boy, is this just a busy time of the year for us. We just returned from the Open Brangus Show at the 2010 HLS&R. Let me fill most of you in
on a little history before the story begins.

I grew up in Bremond, TX which is located about 20 miles from Camp Cooley Ranch in Franklin, TX. In high school, I bought and showed Brangus heifers from Camp Cooley, which at the time, was home of the famous Brinks Brangus herd. They also raised Charolais and Angus. Their fall bull sale was famous! They sold over 1,000 head each fall of bulls alone, and of course had a top notch female sale as a preview to sta
rt off the weekend. If you have ever attended a Camp Cooley sale, you know that they also served an amazing steak dinner each night to all of the customers and attendees.

While in high school and even after that, I had much success with my Camp Cooley Brangus show heifers (which are now the basis and donors of our show cattle business 'Royal Genetics'). I won many Texas majors and also the 2005 National Junior Brangus Show. I still own each of these females and enjoy raising show and donor prospects out of each of them.

Tanner, my boyfriend, grew up actively showing American Steers. He has also won many banners himself, but his are breed champions from all of the Texas majors with his show steer projects. His oldest sister, Dusti, however grew up showing Brangus heifers. Of course she was a bit older than me, and I never knew her from showing. But, Tanner and his family both have roots in the Brangus breed. The neat thing about it all, is we both have a love and passion for show cattle!!!
So, now that I am a self-employed business owner (thanks to all of the fabulous SJ customers!), I can also still pursue one of my favorite hobbies -- showing cattle! The Open Brangus Show at Houston is the most prestigious Brangus show in the USA. Many exhibitors from all over the nation, as well as international exibitors, owners and Brangus cattle enthusiasts attend this show.

My dad and I left Wednesday morning with the trailer loaded down with all of our tack, feed, equipment, and of course, the cattle. Tanner needed to stay in school and my brother, Jacob, had recently had his appendix removed. Thus, dad and I were in charge of hauling, unloading, setting up, and taking care of the cattle until Tanner and Jacob arrived to help us Thursday evening.

The bull show was Friday. Even though we didn't bring any bulls we raised along with us, Tanner, Jacob and myself helped some fellow Brangus friends get prepared for the show. Tanner and Jacob helped fit the bulls, while I was in the show ring exhibiting them.


The next day, Saturday, was the day the Brangus females would show. Tanner's good friend, Jason Schroeder, along with the rest of Tanners' family (his dad, mom and little sister Emily) came to watch. Som
e other supporters that came to help us were Amy Hughes (a good friend of mine that I actually met through Camp Cooley and showing Brangus heifers), Ashleigh Sowell (my brother's girlfriend, an SJ employee, and a dear friend), and Dustin Burke (a fellow judging team member and college friend from Texas A&M).

On show day, I had to show both of the heifers of ours, a handful of heifers from Louisiana, owned by Bob Savoie, and because a fellow Brangus breeder and friend, Traci Middleton, from Puryear, TN woke up extremely sick, I was in charge of showing her string of heifers as well. Needless to say, as I am typing this blog, my hands and shoulders st
ill hurt. Not showing in a while can definately make you sore!

Probably the coolest addition to Royal Genetics within the past week and our trip to Houston, is the fancy signs we had made! I am extremely proud of them, hence why they are posted all over the blog.

Tanner and his family are headed back to the Houston Livestock Show this week with market steers. Myself and Southern Jewlz will be headed t
o the Star of Texas/Rodeo Austin to set up our booth! We will be there selling fabulous SJ goodies from March 12-March 27, so be sure and check the blog for upcoming pictures and happenings!

Remember to go visit the Southern Jewlz online store at www.southernjewlz.mybigcommerce.com, or by clicking on the collection tab while viewing the Southern Jewlz website. Everyone who builds a customer account during the month of March will be eligible for the drawing of $50 free store credit! Also, email us your pictures of you and your SJ gear to randa@southernjewlz.com to be included in our customer collage that will be part of the SJ booth at Rodeo Austin!




No comments: